Thursday, December 18, 2014

Simple Scrumptious American Food...without a passport


I don’t know if you have noticed but a whole lot of American places seem to be popping up all over town along with a couple of food vans, one of our favorites is The Smoke BBQ at New Farm, but it was Sunday afternoon and we were just looking for something simple.

My husband had managed to stumble across the The Carolina Kitchen while googling American food and we were pretty interested as it was quiet close to home, about 5 minutes away at Coorparoo.  It was a bit of a late lunch just after 2pm and it seemed that we were lucky we got there when we did as the place seemed to fill up after we ordered.

Now the reviews on the usual review sites were mixed, but I decided that some people had unreasonable expectations….for example one reviewer went there as a special dinner and therefore I can see why it was a disappointment.

The example I will give is you can go to a great seafood restaurant or a little seaside fish and chip shop and have great seafood…but its all about the atmosphere. This place isn’t somewhere for your anniversary dinner or you may not make the next one bit it does have some pretty cool theming and plenty of outdoor seating.

So we ordered a chilli dog each, a serve of buffalo wings and some New York Fries.

 

Now who would have thought a hot dog could be so good, it was so full of flavor, topped with chilli bit then a great freshness from the coleslaw. All for the bargain prince of $5.95.

 


The wings were a different version than what I had previously tried, they ones had been “crumbed” or “coated” and then dipped in the sauce. I tried my first wing early into before I was full from the hot dog so I think I enjoyed the wings more than my husband and “uncle ads”.

 


We were pretty stuffed by the time the New York fries came out, topped with chilli, cheese and sour  cream they were very “moreish” and even though we were full they were polished off pretty quick.


So scores all around were solid 8/10 , a great place to try some authentic American style food without breaking the budget.
 
 
Carolina Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment